Friday, December 13, 2013

a day of visits

i Forewent world cinemai @ciff today to a day of visits to  a few places
Tara books, tiruvanmiyur- a Publisher whose each book is to be treated as a oiece of art. they bring out books featuring tribal arts like those of Gondh, books featuring Mythali art etc. on hand made paper. I was gifted to have a gentle person in one Mr.Manivannan explaining the features of the books to me.

The occassion was an open house with a Ni Pachedi artist. Got to see his work in progress. impressed with the unique brightness in the colors they use. Ironically these are the artists who design the clothes that adorn the goddess but are not allowed inside the temple in rajasthan.

A scroll featuring Gondh artists, which was out of print was too good. A book featuring the nuances in the poem ' i saw a peacock witha fiery trail' with illustrations by a Gondh artist, best captured the beauty of Tara books..
I Saw a Peacock, with a fiery tail,
    I saw a Blazing Comet, drop down hail,
    I saw a Cloud, with Ivy circled round,
    I saw a sturdy Oak, creep on the ground,
    I saw a Pismire, swallow up a Whale,
    I saw a raging Sea, brim full of Ale,
    I saw a Venice Glass, Sixteen foot deep,
    I saw a well, full of mens tears that weep,
    I saw their eyes, all in a flame of fire,
    I saw a House, as big as the Moon and higher,
    I saw the Sun, even in the midst of night,
    I saw the man, that saw this wondrous sight.
Every one interestd in arts and inclined to give their children an artistic fervor should visit Tara books.

My next stop was at the office of the archaeological dept on Halls road Egmore, particularly to Buy 'Oviya paavai' by R.Nagaswamy. I had heard lot about this book at a Talk by artist Viswanathan, organised by Tamil Heritage centre. The book talks about scultures commonly found and mostly ignored in our temples.

The visit throwed open up a sea of info on archeology for me. I stepped on a dynamite of source of knowledge on archaeology in One Mr. Sreekumar, of the Archaeology Dept. while meandering through the office in search of the person in charge of sales of publications, i stepped in to a room of exhibits. i stepped out, afraid if i had tresspassed. A voice egged me on to go in explore. this was Sreekumar. he came in and went on to give me a Tour de force of info on the exhibits. The information i gathered from him is worth a separate post.

also bought a book on Tiruttani as ai knowledge abt this place that has been my home for the past 4 yrs is meagre.

my next destination materialised majically. i had watched couple of interviews of a tamil scholar Aru. somasundaram on podhigai and kaliangar and was so much captivated by his speech and his knowledge that i wanted to learn tamil from him. His works include translations of shakespeare's works. He has undertaken long padayaatras like from rameswaram to kaasi ( written abt it aswell) and has shown the way to others.But tracing him was a difficult job. But some how managed to get hold of a book written by him, wherein i got his number. He was in chennai at Tiruvotriyur.

I have never been beyond beach station all this time. my journey to meet him took me to entirely unexplored areas.He was staying at a 'nagarathaar's house. he was holding a 5 day dis on Kandapuranam. This was the fifth day. The function was attended by close to 100 people all from the same fraternity. it was amazing to see the cohesiveness among them.

The final day was dedicated to 'Tiruttani' murugan and featured murugan 'thirukalyaanam' and 'pattabishekam' which was all grandly staged at the end of the discourse. aru.so's discourse brought the action before the eyes. Tiruttani murugan, being close to my heart, i was well absorbed into the discourse.

aru.so is a native of devakottai. but he rarely stays there. so i left with only way of catching up with his 'sorpozhvus' to listen to more of his tamil. But the 'aanmeega' content in his speeches has to be taken with it, not that its anything to complain abt.

No comments: